Am I liable to a tax charge?
If you have an individual income over £50,000 and either:
- you or your partner receive child benefit
- someone else gets child benefit for a child living with you and they contribute at least an equal amount towards the child’s upkeep
you may be liable to a tax charge.
What is my individual income?
You can calculate your individual income and your liability to additional tax using:
If I liable for a tax charge what do I do next?
You will need to complete a self assessment tax return:
- Register for self assessment (by 5 October)
- Complete the tax return (we can help here!)
- Submit the tax return
- Pay the tax (by 31 January)
Can I opt out of child benefit?
If you no longer want to receive the child benefit as you have an individual income over £50,000, you can do this online.